If you know nothing about smart home and you want to learn about it the easy way, I will tell you how:
Just book an appointment with Amazon Smart Home Consultation.
Go to: http://amazon.com/smart and click on “Smart Home Consultation”. I was able to schedule an in home visit the next day.
When the guy showed up, he showed me some products. Then I was able to bombard him with questions like cost, standard, use scenarios.
My opinions include:
- Smart homes stuff are expensive. If you think you can reduce your monthly bill (electricity, gas, etc), you need to be creative.
- Smart homes may fetch you a better home selling price if done right.
- The current 3 major players are Google Home, Apple Home Kit, Amazon Alex.
- The lack of a universal standard makes it hard to integrate every devices easily.
- Smart homes offer you some minor convenience, turn things (light, garage door, door, etc) on/off
- Smart home is cool. You can control everything in your house using voice. The light setting, sound system, TV are all fun to play with.
- The foundation of smart home is a wireless network that covers your whole house. So you will need a good home wifi router or a good mesh network like Google Wifi or Eero.
- If you want voice commands, then you can buy Amazon Echo / Dot with Alexa or Google Home.
- Then you can get smart lights, home security stuff, TV, sounds, plugs, thermostats.
- Note that every device likes to come with their own hub.