Without root the device, one can record Android devices running Android 4.4 (API level 19) and higher.
Here is an example what I did with Mac OSX:
- Install Android SDK tools, which includes adb (android debug bridge), on my Mac.
- Physically connect my Android phone to my Mac via a USB cable.
- Launch “Terminal” from my Mac.
$ adb shell
shell@ $ screenrecord --verbose /sdcard/vidrec.mp4
(It will start recording your device screen at once)
(Press Ctrl-C to stop recording)
shell@ $ exit
$ adb pull /sdcard/vidrec.mp4
(You should see vidrec.mp4 in your local folder)
Note: If you run into any problem,
- run “adb devices” in the shell. You should see your device listed as one of the device attached. If your device is not listed, you may want to disconnect and then reconnect the USB cable.
- Sometimes, the adb process is messed up. You may need to kill it and restart it. Your last resort is to simply restart the machine.